Friday, July 11, 2008

Vardo Winx

My first D&D character in...well, in a very long time is named Vardo Winx, and will be my initial foray into the world of Play-By-Post gaming. I was lured into trying this game form out by Driver's upcoming Wilderlands OD&D campaign. Scott encourages players to make an 'old school' character sheet, to share with the other players (and earn a small bonus later in the campaign, provided you make it past first level).

So, since I'm fairly sure the forum for this campaign is closed, due to the fact that Scott will be running more than a single party of adventurers through the same world, I thought I'd share my own character sheet for Vardo Winx, Acolyte of The Cult of The Thousand Face.


What is the Cult of The Thousand Face? Hugoman, patron Deity of The Thousand Face, takes on countless forms. The members of said Cult believe that each and every Deity is simply another face of Hugoman, and that in fact, we all have a little Hugoman inside of us. Well, that's my version. How Scott plays this in the campaign is up to him, but that's what I envisioned when he said we could make up our own Deity or Cult.

Being new to PBP gaming, I blew most of my gold (I started with 80 GP) on armor, and included some delving gear from the get go. I'm walking around with but 8 GP now. I still need someone to bring along a hammer or mallet for using the dozen Iron Spikes I invested in. I wanted to start with a Hammer as a weapon, for utility, but only a Mace was available. Besides, I can still toss them down deep, dark holes and listen for the 'clang', or use them to fend off Rust Monsters which might be looking to dine on my Mail armor. I like Iron Spikes.

There won't be any updates per se, for the multi-group reasons, but if and when Vardo meets his demise in the Wilderlands, I'll let you know.

~Sham, Quixotic Referee

4 comments:

Scott said...

You're welcome to update as long as you're reasonably vague on specifics. Cryptic tales of ill-gotten riches will foster a healthy spirit of competition with the other party. :)

Sham aka Dave said...

Cryptic tales of ill-gotten riches

I like the sound of that.

"Hufenm alwiji fkkoqpf jnfwje Vardo mnfwkqo qpvep +1 fwpqj lnopwq. Powojlgq gkowpq 789 jf!"

Oh...I guess I'm thinking of Encrypted tales. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I like it, but you could've made it even more old school in style by writing in all caps.

- Matthew

Sham aka Dave said...

Ack! You're right! Really, it should be in pencil as well, I was just afraid that on that yellow legal paper the scan would be too light.

I'll have to redo the sheet at level 2 (or make a new character), so there will be another sheet to correct these oversights.