I completed another map for The Dismal Depths, so far so good. The image in OpenOffice looked spiffy and clean. But I hit a snag that's been annoying me now. When I print the document in color, I end up with faint bands of Yellow, Blue and Red through the image. I didn't have this issue before. I spent the past hour trying to filter and recolor the image and re-embedding it, but to no avail. It still looks decent in black and white, but some of the clarity is lost.
Here's the color version printed and scanned:
Here's the B&W version, printed and scanned:
Any computer whizzes out there with suggestions, I'm all eyes on this problem. I did use different graph paper for this map, and maybe it scans in a bit wonky. Perhaps my printer just doesn't like the image. I can either simply continue to print the future maps in B&W if the issue persists, or do a lot more trial and error tests until I figure it out. What irks me is I've spent tenfold the time sorting out the method for producing these maps compared to my actual dungeon writing time.
There's just something I enjoy about this approach and presentation that I hope will make it all worth it.
My writing got a bit wordier on 1B, but I still managed to convey each area sufficiently and not overflow the Room Key box. There's plenty of grey area for other referees to sort out within the descriptions.
Lastly, in case you missed one of my reader comments, here's a link to a map that Alex Schroeder made which is virtually the same concept.
As with most ideas I have, they've been done before (and usually better!). Such is the nature of having tens of thousands of guys and gals sitting around dreaming up new ways to play this crazy game.
Anyway, back to work tomorrow so I may not be able to fool with this much until I find some free time this weekend.
~Sham, Quixotic Referee