Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Flashback

This is a Friday Flashback and commentary.

If your OD&D games don't feel like this, you might be playing the game the wrong way.



You see, D&D should be from the heart. It should be free-form. The players should be experiencing something for the first time. The game should be pushing the envelope, it should be taking players out of their everyday doldrums and depositing them into a world that might at first be uncomfortable, but one that shall become uniquely their own once engaged and understood.

Welcome to the do it yourself spirit of original D&D. I hope you enjoy your stay. Now go and grab pencil and paper (much as these great rock visionaries did decades ago) and craft your own version of this concept. Go and make this game your own.

Never, ever forget that NO ONE can tell you how to play D&D. Ever.

~Sham, Quixotic Referee

5 comments:

Michael Curtis said...

I wasn't sure what to expect, as the video and intro text play it cagey. But when I heard, "Is she really going out with him?" I knew what was coming. And I couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

"If your OD&D games don't feel like this, you might be playing the game the wrong way."

...

"Never, ever forget that NO ONE can tell you how to play D&D. Ever."

???

Carl

Chad Thorson said...

This is my favorite Damned song, that and Grimly Fiendish! I also see the correlation of the D&D clones and DiY of punk!

Rock and Role-play!

Tim Jensen said...

I dunno, that video might be more appropriate accompanying a blog post about how your Vampire games should feel. :)

Sham aka Dave said...

Carl: Think outside the box. If you want to conform, and let the corporate heads tell you how to play, don't pursue the DIY mentality. That's what I was trying to say despite my apparently contradictory message that you pointed out (notice though the connotations of OD&D and D&D). I hold no ill will towards those who choose to play 3.5. We're all pursuing D&D, damnit!

Tim: Yes, with Captain Sensible as the lead singer, you're right to an extent in regard to the veneer. Curse you!

Don't take my feverish music-game analogies too seriously. I'm always grasping for lame links between rock and D&D. ;-)

Still a bitchin' song despite my thick-headed post.