Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday Flashback

Oh no he didn't!



Yes, The Pioneers and Time Hard, a song popularized in the great Brit Ska revival by one of my favorites of the time, The Selecter. I can't find a version of the studio classic Everyday (Time Hard) from The Selecter's Too Much Pressure LP, but here's a live clip of Pauline Black solo doing the Pioneers cover she once did with The Selecter nearly 30 years ago in 79-80.



But wait...there's more to the story! Time Hard is actually a cover of Buddy Holly's Everyday! Who knew? Or is it? I'm so confused.



Well, anyway, The Pioneers Time Hard is pure genious, and George Dekker, Desmond's half-brother, was a member of the band.

Have yourself a great damn weekend and "Hold your head up high"!

~Sham, Quixotic Referee

3 comments:

Gamer Dude said...

Wow, that Buddy Holly song certainly brings back memories. I had an album w/ that song on it and listened to it on nearly a daily basis. It's funny though, I don't remember that a xylophone played the lead on my version...

BTW, I love ska, and reading your historical entries is a heck of a lot of fun.

Chad Thorson said...

I miss ska, I haven't listened to it much in years. I used to play guitar in a ska/punk band called The Skidmarks, and we got to play with some decent bands. But I prefer two-tone ska!

Remember the episode of The Young Ones with The Selecter in it?

Sham aka Dave said...

Gamer Dude: Yeah, Buddy Holly and many of the bands in the true radio days of rock have numerous versions of the same song out there on vinyl. Pretty cool era for Rock & Roll; there was a real innocence to the whole thing. And thanks, I'm glad you like these flashbacks.

Atom Kid: Yes, yes! I had forgotten that they were on The Young Ones, thank you for reminding me. Way back when I had taped nearly all of the episodes on VCR, and my Dad taped over most of them...man was I pissed. Very cool that you were in a ska/punk band! I do like some of the third wave US ska, but two-tone was always my favorite...although the more I listen to first wave ska the more I discover to my liking.