Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday Flashback

Is it Friday yet? After collecting the data from my in depth poll here at the Grog 'n Blog, I've brought back this little weekly video feature. Here are the results, voted on by youse guys:

Bring back Friday Flashbacks?:

Yes: 13%
Sure: 20%
No: 7%
Friday What?: 60%
The simple fact that Friday What? garnered most of the votes means that either:

A: You guys have crappy memory, or
B: You guys are smart asses.
Either way, Friday What? is as good as a Yes or Sure in my book! It means I need to fire off more videos of songs no one cares about anymore, Yours Truly excepted.

So, without further rambling, I offer the following from what I believe was the ultimately too-short lived pinnacle of that iconic Manchester band, The Buzzcocks. This one clocks in at 2 minutes, so slow down your incessant internet and blogosphere clicking for a short span of musical enlightenment, smart asses! :-)



The Buzzcocks, circa 1976, with Howard DeVoto on vocals, before he buggered off and formed Magazine. Future lead man, Pete Shelley, is the one playing guitar in the shades and pink pants.

~Sham, Quixotic Referee

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ever Fall In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)" is one of the best songs ever. I'm pretty new to RPGs, but I know the shit out of some music, so while I read your D&D musings in appreciative silence, I'll not be able to resist musical (and cartoonical) commentary!

Sham aka Dave said...

Indeed, Matt! Between Spiral Scratch and Singles Going Steady, I think The Buzzcocks experienced a meteoric rise to nigh music perfection. They were always somewhere between the Pop and Punk genres, probably primarily due to their lyrical content, but witnessing the Pistols convinced them that not only could they make a band as well (a second time actually, after their first attempt never really got off the ground), but that they could do it however they wanted.

Max said...

Hurrah! Glad to see a Friday Flashbacks Comeback. Don't worry if they get comments or not -- it's nowhere set in stone that you must post only about dice and dungeons.

I was about to write that my favorite Pete Shelley track was "Major Tom" but, uh, just learned I'd been confusing him and Peter Schilling for years! They do sound quite alike.

Sham aka Dave said...

They do sound quite alike.

In name only! I know that's what you mean, though. ;-)

Yes, I could see the confusion. A pair of 70's Brit musicians with strong ties to androgyny. Oh, and Major Tom is a fantastic song as well!

Anonymous said...

When you want to get some really good writing music, turn off the Punk and put on some Metal, dammit!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself...)

(Buzzcocks are pretty great though...)

Anonymous said...

Hey Arcona: click my name and follow the link for some metal! I know well this music of which ye speak!

Sham aka Dave said...

When you want to get some really good writing music, turn off the Punk and put on some Metal, dammit!

LOL

Paybacks are Hell, and all that. I'm not anti-Metal, I just have a distinctive Punk lean.

Max said...

@ Arcona, Sham

Metal, punk, c'mon fellas, why choose? One man settles this argument, with one word: Lemmy Kilmister spake "Motorhead" and saw that it was good.

David Larkins said...

Heh, I've had "Boredom" stuck in my head all day, so this post is strangely resonant with me.

Anyway, nice choice! I've been doing a similar thing over on my LJ, where I take the top 5 most-played artists of the week and post videos of them. I think I'm going to have to put it on hold for a bit though, but you can enjoy the archives in the meantime. :)

Sham aka Dave said...

Max: I love me some Motorhead, one of the great unsung Punk bands. (heh heh heh).

Sirlarkins: Thank you! Wow! Can you say "added to favorites". Done! I'll need some time to digest all of that, though.

Cheers!