Saturday, November 29, 2008

Coattails 3

Although this might be a perpetual series of Grognardia links; I feel that these are topics worth rambling about.

James M recently posted a review of S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks; a personal favorite of mine due to its unconventional contents.

Here’s the thing. From a wargamer’s approach, S3 is within the bounds of balance. The controversy that surrounds a sci-fi adventure in D&D is due more to the original direction (and in my own personal opinion, mistake) taken in the writing of D&D. The fact is that TSR missed the boat in making D&D D&D.
The approach should have been the game concept that was defined by D&D, and not the fantasy milieu.

Whether you are taking 1d6 damage from a Goblin’s spear, from a Mutants Eye-Beam, from a Vege-Pygmy’s Laser Gun, or from a KGB Agent’s PPK should be irrelevant. The point should be that your character is in danger…that and nothing more.

Inspirations, influences and milieus be damned.

The point is that there are obstacles and threats to your character; overcoming those threats is your objective.

To quote Mr. Gygax:

“…the scope need not be restricted to the medieval…”

It is, after all, a game of dice, tables and decisions.

In other words, 6d6 damage from a Plasma Cannon is the same as 6d6 damage from a Dragon‘s Fiery Breath. That’s a wargamer’s outlook at least.

~Sham, Quixotic Referee

4 comments:

taichara said...

In other words, 6d6 damage from a Plasma Cannon is the same as 6d6 damage from a Dragon‘s Fiery Breath. That’s a wargamer’s outlook at least.

I agree with your thesis, but I feel the need to dispute your definition. Just a little.

That outlook might apply to wargamers, but it's a little over-restrictive in my mind to call it a wargamer's outlook -- I think in much the same lines, and I've never wargamed.

Maybe "all-inclusive" would be better? (I know there's a better phrase out there, but sleep has its fangs in my head. Alas. ;) )

Sham aka Dave said...

Very true, taichara. I suppose what I'm hinting at is the 'wargaming roots' of D&D...but indeed it's more or less a mechanical outlook; strictly numbers and rules less the flavor.

Mr Baron said...

This was definitely an interesting module. In my younger days the group I was with started this, but we never had a chance to finish it. I think mixing and matching Sci-Fi & Fantasy is fine, but a little goes a long ways.

Sham aka Dave said...

but a little goes a long ways

I'd agree with that. I've never made a D&D campaign with a lot of sci-fi features, although I did run a couple Arduin ones with plenty of guns for the Techno characters. Just glorified missile weapons (but we had fun with grenages and explosions). Man, that was a long time ago now.